By January, Explora will replace Searchasaurus, Kids Search and Student Research Center. The three new interfaces Schools – Explora for Primary Schools, Explora for Secondary Schools and Explora for Public Schools – use the same great EBSCO databases you’ve come to enjoy, just displayed in a new and improved interface. But why wait? You can stat using Explora on AskRI.org today!
Designed with students and educators in mind, Explora provides a safe, trustworthy environment for students to look up articles and facts for research papers, class projects or homework. A far better alternative to websites and search engines, Explora provides students with easy-to-use features and age-appropriate content from the world’s leading magazines and reference books. Available on school computers and from mobile devices, Explora offers all of the following:
- High-quality articles licensed from reputable publishers, recognized by library professionals, and selected for use in a school environment
- Simple search that quickly delivers relevant results, including primary source documents, news articles, and Associated Press videos
- Easy-to-browse categories organized by popular topic
- Topic Overviews that provide students with a starting point for research
- Text-to-speech for HTML articles to assist struggling readers or those learning English
- Numeric reading-level indicators to help students and teachers find grade-appropriate articles
- No ads or pop-up windows
- COPPA compliancy, meaning EBSCO does not ask for or require personal information to use its databases
- Password-protected personal folders that allow students to save search results in a secure and organized holding area
- Citation help, including the ability to export citation information to online bibliography generators such as EasyBib and NoodleTools
Tutor.com will see you in September!
For the month of August, Tutor.com is taking a summer break. It will return in September – just in time for back to school! The service will be available up through July 31.
New Ask-a-Librarian Hours
There’s been a slight change in the open hours to chat with a librarian on AskRI.org. We’re still offering 60 hours a week of reference goodness! The new hours are:
Monday & Wednesday: 8:30am EST – 8:30pm
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday: 8:30am EST – 5:30pm
As always, patrons can email an AskRI.org librarian anytime at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are excited to announce that Stephanie Knott has joined the AskRI.org reference team! Please join us in welcoming Stephanie as another expert reference librarian answering all of your and your patron’s burning questions!
It’s All About You! (and Lynda)
Need to refresh your skills or learn some new tech stuff? Did you know that AskRI “checks out” Lynda.Com licenses to staff at RI public libraries and schools? Lynda.Com provides self-paced online instructional courses in software, design, business and more. Fill out our Lynda sign-up form to get your two-week license (renewable) today! First come, first served.
Email Stacie at email@example.com